Your adventures in Baldur’s Gate 3 will have many twists and turns. Naturally, you’re expected to make important decisions. One of these happens during the third act, where you can decide if you should worship a particular god. Our Baldur’s Gate 3 Murder Tribunal guide discusses how to enter the Canduhallow Tombstones so you can impress the entities in the dark lair. Likewise, please be reminded that this article contains spoilers.
How to Impress the Murder Tribunal in Baldur’s Gate 3
The Baldur’s Gate 3 Impress the Murder Tribunal quest occurs in the Lower City. You’ll need to finish a couple of quests beforehand:
These objectives inform you that a killer named Dolor is on the loose. Once you’ve taken him out, you’ll receive a gory prize: four hands that have been cut off from innocent victims.
How to Enter the Canduhallow Tombstones Secret Lair
Once you have the dismembered hands, make your way to Canduhallow Tombstones. It’s in the alleyway between Elfsong Tavern and the Basilisk Gate waypoint (X: 88; Y: 14). Enter the office and check the small room at the end. If you read the note from Dolor’s body, you’ll learn of a dirge that has a clue on how to access the secret lair. Specifically, it’s this line: “If entry down below’s your aim, seek trigger hidden by a frame.”
You’ll see a “Butterfly on Skull” painting that you can interact with. Press the button to reveal a hidden door. Interact with it, and speak “Sicarius” to be granted passage.
At the temple’s entrance, a Death Knight will challenge you. Respond with: “I killed to be here – and took the victim’s hand as proof.” You’ll be able to enter the Bhaalist Crypt.
How to Impress the Bhaalite Champion
In the throne room, you’ll be greeted by none other than Sarevok Anchev, the main villain in the original Baldur’s Gate game. He’s flanked by three echoes–Amelyssan, Sendai, and Illasera–three Bhaalspawn whose tormented spirits remain chained to their master.
There are some important interactions here:
- The main goal is to convince Sarevok that you’re truly following the murderous path of a Bhaal worshiper. The NPC hand that’s taken randomly will also cause that person’s spirit to materialize. You have to pass a dialogue check to mention how you killed your victim.
- If Jaheira is with you, Sarevok will accuse you of bringing a heretic (she was part of the group that slayed him in the previous game). You’ll then have to deceive Sarevok into thinking that Jaheira is but a servant (DC20 Intimidation or Performance).
- A more evil route allows you to offer Jaheira as a sacrifice. You’d have to kill her in battle.
- And, there’s also a means of attacking Sarevok immediately. We discuss the boss fight a bit later in our Baldur’s Gate 3 Murder Tribunal guide.
Dilemma: Should You Worship Bhaal
If Sarevok is pleased or deceived, he’ll lead you to the inner sanctum. There, you’ll spot Inspector Valeria, chained next to a pool of blood. Several cultists are also in this chamber. Everyone is waiting for your decision:
- Four dialogue options all cause you to kill Valeria in cold blood. This also means bathing in the blood pool and becoming a Bhaal worshiper.
- One reply leads to a boss fight against Sarevok, but it also prevents you from becoming a follower.
The Boss Fight and Rewards
There are several rewards that you can obtain depending on your choices when you face off against Sarevok in Baldur’s Gate 3. These include weapons, accessories, Inspiration points, and more. Naturally, there are also consequences.
- Accessory: Amulet of Bhaal – Causes bleeding the first time you hit a target that still has full HP; either given by Sarevok if you worship Bhaal, or looted from his corpse.
- Inspiration: Forgotten, Bloodied Halls (Acolyte) – Obtained when you discover the Temple of Bhaal. You get this automatically if you become a worshiper. If you kill Sarevok, then you’ll acquire this upon reaching the actual temple in the Undercity Ruins.
Become a Bhaal Worshiper
- Inspirations: Death of Innocence (Haunted One); Liturgy of Blood (Acolyte).
- Vendor: Abazigal – A Dragonborn Bhaalspawn shows up in the throne room. You can buy a bunch of items from him.
- Companion Dismissal: Jaheira – It looks like Jaheira will leave your party for good. We recruited Minsc after this part, but there’s a good chance that he’ll leave as well.
If you try to reject Bhaal, it’ll lead to the Baldur’s Gate 3 Sarevok boss fight, and he’s one tough customer. Sarevok has the following notable perks:
- Legendary Resistance – +10 to the next saving throw.
- Murderous Strikes – After performing four attacks, Sarevok can use Deathbringer Assault.
- Deathbringer Assault – A multi-hit attack that deals 20-200 damage.
- Bhaalspawn Essence – The three echoes (i.e. Amelyssan, Sendai, and Illasera) all grant him buffs if their spirits die.
With numerous hostiles arrayed against you, and a litany of opponent buffs, you really need to be prepared. Make sure you pre-buff before engaging Sarevok in the throne room or the inner sanctum, and use those AoE spells to clear out the other enemies immediately.
Here are the rewards that you can expect:
- Sword of Chaos – 5-18 slashing and necrotic damage; +2 weapon enchantment; restores 1-6 HP on hit.
- Sarevok’s Horned Helmet – Adds Darkvision by up to three meters; reduces the number needed to roll a critical hit; can’t be frightened or affected by emotion-altering conditions; +1 Constitution saving throws.
- Inspiration: A Step Too Far (Haunted One).
- Gather Your Allies: Valeria/City Watch – Saving Inspector Valeria guarantees that the city watch will be there during the final battle.
For the record, we opted for this route since we picked the Dark Urge origin. We were going for a full redemption arc, hence avoiding any attempt to worship or side with Bhaal and his ilk.
And that’s it: that’s all you need to know about the Sarevok boss fight and the Murder Tribunal in Baldur’s Gate 3. Past this point, your next target is none other than Orin the Red.
Baldur’s Gate 3 is filled to the brim with activities and secrets. You’ll no doubt be part of an adventure that can take countless hours to complete. For other tips, you can visit our BG3 guides hub.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors.
GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.